Saturday, April 28, 2012

new milestones

Today I went out for a run with the intention of running four to five miles.  I headed out to the park in town so that I could just run circles around the track until my legs were good and sore!  I wanted to run for an hour and see how much distance I could cover.  The last time I ran at the park, I could barely run a third of the half mile track loop, and this time I ran the entire loop plus some before I had to stop to take a walk break.  This really showed me how far I have come in my running endurance.  Back in October or November I never could have imagined accomplishing that.

The first mile went well and I ran it under my 12:00/mile goal race pace.  At about a mile and a half however, I started having some pain in my hip.  It started hurting really bad, so I took a break to stop and stretch before getting back on the track.  I also decided that I would walk the rest of my time.  I really didn't want to walk the rest of it because I was going for the most mileage I could accomplish in an hour, but I knew if I pushed it, I could end up seriously hurting myself.  Plus, I have a 2-hour Zumbathon tomorrow night, so I need my hips in working order :-)

I kept walking the track for a while until RunKeeper told me that I had been going for 50 minutes and had gone 3.33 miles.  At that point, my hip was feeling good, so I picked up the pace and managed to complete 4.18 miles in 59:45.  While it wasn't quite what I was hoping to accomplish when I went out this morning, it is the longest run I have done so far, so that's an accomplishment in my book!  Only .82 miles away from five!  That 5 mile race is four weeks from tomorrow!

In the world of Weight Watchers this week I hit another milestone.  This week I hit 26 pounds lost!  When I stepped on the scale for my weigh-in (in my bathroom, I only do online, not meetings) I was pleasantly surprised to see that I had exceeded my goal of hitting the 25 pound mark.  I am now about 10 pounds from my goal and it's really exciting and motivating to be this close to my goal.

Also this week, I made my decision on what will be my first half marathon.  On January 20, 2013 I will be competing in the Tinkerbell Half Marathon in Disneyland in Anaheim, CA.  I am so excited but I really realize how much work I am going to have to do to get myself up to being able to complete 13.1 miles.  Having a half marathon on the horizon is going to be a huge motivator to get me out on the road and start logging more miles.  I can't wait to complete the B.A.A. 10K (which I will register for on Wednesday) so that I will have a time to put in when I register for Tink.  I also managed to convince my roommate to run this with me, so we will be taking on our first half, and first 10K, together!

No comments:

Post a Comment