Sunday, April 22, 2012

PR and it feels so good

This morning I ran the Race Against Extinction 5K race in Boston and I set a personal record that I can hardly believe! I ran my 3.1 miles in 34 minutes and 42 seconds, beating the time in which I ran my first 5K in November by FOUR minutes!

The race was at 11:00 am at Artesani Park in Boston with proceeds going to environmental organizations because after all, today was Earth Day!  A looming rain storm had us a little nervous that the day may become a mud run, but mother nature held out and there were no drops felt as we ran through the park.  Bib pick-up was quick and easy and we were surprised to also get a free WWF water bottle with our registration.  We always love the freebies!  There were not many participants, maybe around 200 people participating, but that meant that it was not crowded.  People were also encouraged to run with dogs and strollers, so there were lots of dogs hanging around the course!

We took off at 11:00 am started our run through the park.  Kristin yelled back to us "Meet you at the finish!" before she took off out on the course.  Patty and I decided to keep pace with each other and we were each other's motivation to keep running harder and longer.  I had RunKeeper going tracking the run,  and when the 10 minute audio cue came up I could hardly believe that I had almost run a mile!  We completed our first mile in only 10:11!  It was great motivation to keep us going at that point.  Patty and I kept up our run/walk pace and managed to average a 10:52 minutes per mile pace.

Overall, it was a great run and the weather held out for us, which was the best.  People cheering us on towards the end (including Kristin who finished in an awesome 25:48) helped us keep up our run to the finish line.

This week was also another great accomplishment in the world of my Weight Watchers adventure.  I needed to buy a dress for a wedding in two weeks and I have been putting it off to make sure that it'll fit on the day of, and Thursday night I bought a wicked cute polka dot dress... in a size SIX!  Last year I started Weight Watchers the week of my birthday and the dress I bought to wear for my birthday celebration was a 10.  All my efforts have resulted in two dropped dress sizes.

This has certainly been a great week for new personal records.  I can't wait until my next run where I can try to set another :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment